quick photo of me and my forever sleeping partner
WHEN PEOPLE SAY YOU HAVE PRIVILEGE THEY ARE NOT SAYING THAT YOU DON’T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS
THEY ARE SAYING YOU DO NOT HAVE THE SPECIFIC PROBLEMS THAT COME FROM OPPRESSION
THIS IS NOT A DIFFICULT CONCEPT
I feel like I haven’t slept in 70 years
when i say white people don’t experience oppression, that means they specifically cannot experience any form of systematic oppression based on the colour of their skin, because they fucking formed that system and continue to perpetuate that system.
if you’re white you can be oppressed on different axis:
- if you’re white and gay, you experience homophobia
- if you’re white and poor, you experience classism
- if you’re white and disabled, you experience ableism
- if you’re white and a woman, you experience sexism
- if you’re white and jewish, you experience anti-semitism
no one is fucking saying life is suddenly rainbows because you’re white.
the only thing that people are fucking saying is that you will not ever experience systematic oppression/erasure/violence because of your skin. you won’t be killed for being white, wearing a hoodie and coming home from 7-11.
Reasons why I’m excited for “Dear White People:”
- Black actors portraying 3-dimensional characters
- Honest social commentary
- Targeted to the college age demographic
- Thorough exploration of the various forms of racism in America
- Tessa Thompson’s voice and Tyler William’s afro wig
Reasons why I’m not excited for “Dear White People:”
- White people calling it racist
- Mainstream media agreeing with the white people calling it racist